Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Some thoughts on breastfeeding

Many of you know that I am really into nursing Brennan - it is somethiing that I highly value and feel blessed to be able to provide for Brennan in this way. Of course, I understand that nursing is a personal choice and a physical and emotional commitment and therefore not for everyone, nor is everyone able to do it.

Anyway - I was just thinking about it this morning and now again as I sit here pumping at work. I am so lucky to work in an environment that supports my decision to do this, and that I have an office to pump in - not to mentiong the flexibility in my schedule to spend the time doing it. It hit me that Brennan is almost 7 months and that I have been fortunate enought to do this exclusively (and so far my monthly visitor has not returned! Yay!). I love that I have connected with other women who also value nursing as much as I do and I wonder, w/out them, would I still be doing this? And I know that I would, even though it means getting up more than I want to at night....it is soooo worth it. Sometimes I think I should become an advocate (officially) or someone who can help other women through the hardest days of nursing. You know, Brennan will gladly eat out of anything, but the times when I nurse him are just so special to me - sometimes the look he gives me while nursing is enough to make me melt and cry - all at once. Babies all bond in different ways, but I believe that the choice I have made to continue nursing has only strenthened our bond. I'll probably be one of those mothers that people roll thier eyes at and make comments under thier breathe b/c I don't see this nursing relationship ending anytime soon. I am happy to nurse anytime and anywhere, like in the middle of Border's the other day or while out to eat. Fortunately no one has ever said anything negative to me about it (and yes, I try to be couteous and utilize my hooter hider when in public! Though, Brennan is so interested in the world that it makes it hard at times!).

Lately nursing has been more challenging b/c Brennan gets so distracted - but thats ok! As a go-go-go-go person, the other thing I love about nursing is that it forces me to just sit down and relax w/ my son. I can't do it while doing a million other things and I am also thankful for that. And grateful.

1 comment:

Maria said...

You melted my heart with this post! I feel like I could have written it myself. I LOVE the relationship that The Boy and I have-- the time that we get together just as-- as a result of nursing him. He is 15 months, still nursing, and I AM one of those women that people roll their eyes at, and guess what? I don't care. If your post is any indication, you won't care either. :)

Re: distraction-- have you tried a nursing necklace at all? It only gets worse as they toddle, but it is still worth it. The positions The Boy gets himself in to for nursing make me laugh!

Congratulations on continuing to nurse!