Always a taboo topic, but I think it should be out there to discuss!
You know, I wouldn't say that PJ and I are rolling in the dough but I also wouldn't say that we are hurting in a bad way, though it often feels like it! With the recent promotion I had at work, there was a little breathing room though recently we were still feeling the pinch (dang cost of day care - and can I just say I hate when people give the argument that it is cheaper to stay home than it is to work b/c of daycare costs - I mean, unless you are only making 10-15k/year, that is a big fat lie - just say - we are lucky and can afford to have a parent stay home or it is a financial decision that we made b/c of whatever!). As a result, I have decided that we really REALLY needed to take control of our finances. We have always been good but not great. I won't lie, we have some debt, though I would like to think who doesn't? Still paying off part of that beautiful new kitchen we are enjoying. My goal is for us to have nothing but "good debt" (ha, is there such a thing) by summer, which with my plan, is a reality. By good debt I mean - mortgage, car payment, and school loans. That is IT! Nothing else.
The big kicker this past week was that we have a car that needs LOTS of work - to the point that you start wondering, what is the tipping point - should we get a new car vs fix the old? We are still working through that but accepting that we will be without a car for a while either way - not sure how long. No need to rent one and we are absolutely not buying anything new until our cards are totally paid off AND we feel we are in a better spot. So... instead we will carpool and as needed, take the city bus. You know, people may turn their noses up at that, but in all reality I am really excited about this new adventure. We have a great transit system in Indy and the bus route is just about 1 block away from our house - no reason not too. Plus I just think of all the $ we will be saving in gas (maybe it is a blessing that our gas guzzler is going caput!)! Yes, we will be inconvenienced, but in all reality, there are more important things in life than being inconvenienced by not having a car or using the bus. If PJ were need our one car and I were home with the kids, I can easily walk all the places we may need to go (park, Target, grocery, library) - (another reason I just LOVE where I live!). Bottom line, we have to make sacrifices.
So where I work they have this program called Cash Course which is designed for students to create budgets and make plans - well I decided, why not try it out - and honestly it was so helpful! I put in our monthly income and monthly bills and can see how and where we spend. Graphs, charts, tips, etc... Also very timely was a money saving email from Real Simple so I signed up for those tips too. I know a lot of people already do this but I just hadn't ever looked in to it - but now is the time!
I honestly hate thinking about money. It makes me uncomfortable. I just want it to be there when I need it. And I want to be able to buy what I want when I want. But reality is that we cannot operate like that - so taking charge, as hard has it may be, especially when you have to make hard decisions, it absolutely necessary. So I am dealing with the pit in my stomach in facing certain realities.
Overall I am proud to say that we are excellent retirement planners, have college savings for our children, and also are strategic in other financial ways - but it is time to take it to the next level - to get honest about what we need vs have vs how we spend and what it important. I have to keep in mind that our long term goals include some major house updates and eventually moving - and keeping my eye on that goal is WAY more important than having that new shirt or eating out. It's all about choices.
No comments:
Post a Comment