So for the past few weeks B has had fairly severe chronic diareah, not fun. I had deduced that it was some kind of intolerance and we finally made it in to the dr yesterday. He wants us to start by cutting out all dairy from his diet. Honestly, I thought he would ask me to start with wheat, so I wasn't prepared for dairy and didn't even know what to ask yesterday! He wants us to start with no diary for three weeks. If that doesn't take care of it, we are going to move on to wheat/gluten products.
Have you ever thought about what includes dairy? Okay - let's start with the obvious - milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. But what about pasta and bread and EVERYTHING that we eat!!!!!!! I left a msg for the dr today to call me b/c I want to know - should I cut out EVERYTHING that includes lactose or just straight dairy? And what about the fact that I am still breastfeeding (and had pizza last night and yogury smoothie this morning and LOVE LOVE LOVE milk?!) - does that affect him? Do I need to cut out dairy from my diet or wean him (I hope not to both questions! But I would rather reduce dairy than wean).
I have been trying to do some research about milk intolerance online - there is a lot of information out there but it is also confusing. I am hoping that if it is a dairy intolerance and if we do cut out all milk products for a few weeks, that we can reintroduce some things - how much would life suck if B could not eat my mom's pie crust? Or homemade cookies? Or spaghetti with meatballs?
not to mention that with Thanksgiving tomorrow, this is not really a great time, but that is a selfish statement and I will do anything for little B. Deb is going to make him mashed taters with soy milk which will be nice. At least we ran out of the breastmilk supply this week too so we don't have to worry about pitching anything leftover.
Oh - and quick sleep update - yeah......the sleeping thru the night thing lasted Sat, Sun, Mon and that's it. :) Last night he was up at midnight, 3, 5, 6.....we started nursing at 5am...oh little man, my little man - sleep will come someday...
1 comment:
I'm not a doctor, but your doctor should not recommend that you wean. If you want to continue, reduce the dairy in your own diet. Also, if you've been nursing him this long without a problem, he's probably not having a problem with the dairy in your diet.
He might be sensitive-- and you might be able to reintroduce certain dairy products like yogurt and cheese later, because in the process of making those foods, the lactose is partially broken down, and therefore, easier to digest.
hugs, and I hope B-man feels better soon!
Post a Comment